An Off Day

"Week 3, day 6. I was thinking about the past month or so with everything that's happened to my team and I. With me writing so often lately, I'm starting to realize things are getting worse. I laughed at that statement because of course things are getting worse. We're in a world where Zombies dictate your life span, and every moment may be your last. But in relation to when the plague first spread across this world... things are getting worse.
First it was just a plague that needed to be vaccinated. Then it was the dead reanimating and feasting on the living. But even then we had a working, if somewhat lessened, body of government. Then the government crashed and all that was left were military plans and objectives. Then the military base was overtaken and all that was left was the team and I.
That was probably the most shocking part of all of this. In the world we lived in, the government either hid or controlled everything. And then when that went south, the military stepped up and controlled things as best they could. Now it's just us. The team has been so brave during all of this. They've seen their friends and families claimed by the plague. They've shot down or seen the corpses of people they knew. I am proud of them like I never have been of anything else. Eagle, Phoenix, Viper, and Watcher I already thought of as family when this started. But Enrique, Sphinx, Rex, Mako, and Shakespeare... They all seem like family now. I can't imagine going through this without them.
They bring unique and effective skills to the team. I honestly don't know what my role in all of this has been. I mean... yes, I'm good with computers. But Watcher has every single program needed for getting into or through anything electronic. I'm good with a gun... But Phoenix and Eagle are the best shots on the team. Even though my father was a mechanic and I spent time helping him out, Rex and Mako far exceed my limited knowledge in that field. Viper is our huntress hands down. I don't know how she does it, but she can track anything we need with ease. Whether it's Zombies to kill, or food for the day, she'll point the way. Enrique is our comedic relief. Shakespeare is an experienced doctor, so there's no competition there. But I haven't brought our team down in any way. So that's good enough for now. I don't know what made me think of this... I guess everyone just wants to know they're place in the world and the reasoning for it.
Anyways... Today's just been an off day. Since our run in with the talking Zombie, Shakespeare and Medic have been examining it as best as they can with the limited equipment to try and figure out what made it different. The only logical thing they can think of is that somehow the brain was still being delivered oxygen during death. That thesis bothers me though. It shows premeditation. Almost like this was an experiment. I hope it's not someone like the doctor from the animal hospital again. I don't think we would fare too well with another beast like that.
When everyone was getting ready to go to sleep, Viper came over and sat beside me. She had elected to have the first watch of the night, and I'd agreed to stay up with her. But as we sat in the middle of our camp, leaning against each other's backs, her hand slowly trailed over, and she twined her fingers with mine. Maybe she was just looking for comfort, or trying to comfort me. Maybe she was just looking for living human contact. Maybe she was just quitely saying hi to an old friend... But it gave me an idea.
I'd been with the team from the beginning. If it hadn't been for me Watcher and Viper would still be leading their own platoons, Eagle and Phoenix and I would probably be in hiding somewhere with our families, and the rest of the team would be with another leader or dead by now. But I've brought us together, I've helped us feel close and comfortable with each other, I've given us direction when everything else fell apart, and I've led us out of some pretty rough messes. I'm not the best shot, the best hacker, the best tracker, mechanic, engineer, or medic. But I'm the survivor. And I entend to survive with my family beside me."

Excerpt from the battle log of Steven A. Carpenter. Code Named: Reaper.

No comments: