Life in the Shadows - Shadow

"Sometimes... When I can't sleep or I have some time alone, I try to remember what life was like before the infestation. Unfortunately it wasn't much better than it is now. Over the years my mind has tried to block out any memories I had. Every now and then I'll catch a glimpse of a place or someone's face I remember. You see, my dad was an alcoholic and I used to think beating my mom and me was some sick twisted hobby of his. It wasn't rare for me to have a black eye or bloody nose. Luckily I was a strong-willed thirteen year-old and could take it, but the look of terror, sheer terror, on my mother's face when he would come home drunk was enough to make any kid to what I did...
One night my dad came home completely smashed and my mother shoved me under my bed, as she often did in that situation, and went out to face him. This time was different though. I had unusual feelings of anger, courage and determination that took over my body. The feelings carried me out from under my bed, out of my room, and down the hall to my father's room. They lead me directly to his closet and forced me to reach up to the top shelf. Inside lay a shotgun with the end sawed off. With the emotions still controlling my every move, I picked the weapon up.
It was strange. Somehow I knew exactly how to use it. I checked the magazine and, as I assumed, it contained full ammo. Then I took off the safety, and cocked a shell into the chamber. I made my way out of his room and followed the shouting down stairs, where I found my father holding my mother by the throat against a wall. The emotions began changing from anger and courage to fear and anxiety. Then all of the sudden my mother's eyes met with mine and that look of terror changed them right back. I raised the fun and with a frightening smile on my face I pulled the trigger and put a round through the back of the man's skull.
At that moment it felt as if all time stood still and everything went quiet. There was an eerie silence filtering throughout the whole house. And while it may have been eerie, it just felt right. That's when everything becomes a blur. I remember little from that point until the infestation started.
Now i devote my life to killing every single on of those deteriorating bastards. I don't know why, but it seems I have an unhealthy hatred towards them! Whether it's because they remind me of my father, the way they stumble around, make a lot of noise, and have every intent to harm me, or if it's just an instinctive hate for something that frightens me..."

Excerpt from the battle log of Ben D. Helps. Code Named: Shadow.

No comments: