When Will You Listen? - Viper

"Week 4, day 2. 'So are you going after him too? Or am I going alone?' After the door closed behind Watcher I'd made up my mind. I told Reaper I wasn't going to lose him. And I meant it.
'I was wondering who would be the first to ask,' said Eagle smiling. 'Quickly brought up too. Hardly any time between that door closing and you speaking up.'
Blinking the tears away from my eyes I responded. 'Ya, well he has a promise to keep to me. And I mean to have that promise fulfilled before he dies.' I looked at everyone in the room. 'So who's coming?'
'We're in!' sounded Phoenix, elbowing his brother softly.
'Good. So you're all agreed,' Valerie said as she got up from her chair. Walking around the table to stand in front of Viper, 'You just make sure to bring all of my brothers home safe OK?'
'No worries,' I said with a playful smile forming on my lips. 'I'll make sure they come home. Safe and sound.'
Sitting back down at the table, we began to make our plan. If we come by Reaper too close to the bunker he might send us back. But we have to stay close enough to him to know where he is and know when he moves. Not to mention we needed to plan our rations again, get our weapons resupplied, and get ready to move.
A sudden knock at the door was the only warning we had of someone walking in. Three quick raps on the door, the knob was turned, and in stepped one of the guards from our first day here.
'Shadow...' Phoenix looked back over his shoulder and smiled crookedly at his friend. 'You know sometimes just knocking isn't enough to be polite. Could have waited for us to say something first.'
'I know, I know,' Shadow responded while rolling his eyes. 'But seriously, I thought you guys should know. Reaper just left. What's that about?'
Looking around the room I quickly noticed that I wasn't the only one with a startled look on my face. 'I thought he said he'd be leaving tonight? This is much earlier then I thought he would go.'
'No kidding,' sighed Phoenix.
'That is one determined guy,' finished Eagle.
'Alright. So we leave tonight?' I asked.
Watcher walked into the room slowly, taking in the scene. 'Reaper just left? This speeds stuff up. If we don't leave soon we might lose him. Doesn't take that long to walk back to the city. I mean... You are going after him right?'
'Wait, wait. What? You guys are leaving too? What's going on?' asked Shadow with a bit of panic in his voice.
'Man...' cursed Phoenix as he looked at the rest of us. 'I'm sorry guys. I don't know of any other way to explain it.' He slowly bent over the table, picked up the tooth and lobbed it to Shadow. With Shadow looking at the tooth in confusion, Phoenix answered his question from before. 'We're going after Reaper. That's a tooth that he plucked out of his arm. A Zombie bit him while we were trying to clear that mess from outside. He just found out he was definitely screwed earlier today and he told us. He's left because he doesn't want to hurt anyone. And we're going after him because he's a friend that needs our help. Besides... ' He winked at the group, 'can't let a brother go down alone.'
Shadow stood with a very odd look on his face. 'You're all going... To save a dying man?'
Two quick steps brought me right in front of him and grabbing him by his shirt. 'He is not going to die! I don't care what that doctor said! I'm going to find a way to cure Reaper!'
'Whoa, whoa! Alright!' blurted Shadow.
Releasing his shirt and stepping away slowly, 'Sorry... I-I just don't like hearing that kinda talk. Reaper and I have been friends for a long time. I just don't want to imagine life without him.'
Walking up from behind Valerie gently took my hand in hers. 'Ya, we've all known Reaper for a while. Maybe not as long, but we know him. We're all part of his life. That's why we're going to try and help him.'
Squeezing her hand gently I looked back at Shadow. 'So... You're not to tell anyone why we've left. No one outside of this room should know why Reaper left. And as far as their concerned we went with him. Got it?'
With a smile slowly forming on his lips, Shadow walked over to Phoenix and playfully shoved his shoulder with a fist. 'It's gunna be hard for me to tell anyone where you guys have gone, when I'm out there with you, wont it?'
'What!?'
Shadow laughed softly as all of us asked the same question in unison. 'Well ya. I mean everyone's got to die some time or another, right? And I'd rather not just sit here in this bunker waiting for my time to come. Besides Phoenix is right. Can't let Reaper go out alone.'
Looking at each of the others in turn, I nodded slowly. Eagle, Phoenix, Watcher, Shadow, and myself. Five of us. Six once we reach Reaper. Our chances weren't great to begin with. But Shadow looked like he knew what he was getting into. 'Alright. Let's get to it.'
And with that we began. Quickly dividing up our tasks, we set to work. Phoenix and Shadow went to get our ammunition and gear. Watcher and Eagle went to get our rations ready. And Val and I went to check with the bunker security team to let them know we'd be leaving shortly and then to check with the doctors as well. Medical supplies might come in handy with Reaper slowly dying, and Val will be working with the doctors while we're gone to try and find a cure. I hope she makes some breakthroughs soon.
After all our tasks had been completed, the sun had already dipped behind the horizon. Our gear split between us, and our packs on our backs. I looked at each of the others who had smiles on their faces.
'Well... About time we went and joined Reaper, huh?' stated Watcher looking at the others as well. And as the bunker doors opened in front of us, Eagle, Phoenix, Watcher, Shadow and myself took our first steps back outside and didn't look back.
'I don't care where you go. I don't care how long it takes to find you. I will not lose you.'"

Excerpt from the battle log of S.M. Porter. Code Named: Viper.

No comments: