Ever Get That Feeling That A Lot Of Shit Just Hit A Really Big Fan?

"Week 3, day 7 - final. Please note: the battle is already done, and I write this log with a shaky hand... It was a bloody mess. After we were finished, I asked everyone to describe what it was like from their points of view. This battle log is being written by me, with parts from everyone on the team. I'll make sure to separate each time I go to perspectives of different people.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Myself:
As the first two mortar shells flew into the air, I hoped that the people in the bunker wouldn't panic and open their doors to find out what happened. The shells landed at different ends of the sea of undead and even from this distance I could tell the mortars would have more then just their primary use. Decayed flesh and severed limbs flew in every direction, chased by clumps of earth. A ripple effect followed soon after that had Zombies knocking themselves and others over, as well as some falling into the newly made crater. Hopefully those craters are deep enough to take them a while to climb out.
As the undead ghouls turned in our direction and started shambling towards us, I raised the scope of my battle rifle to my eye and squeezed the trigger. Short three bullet bursts exploded forward and buried themselves in the enemy. A chorus of discharges accompanied mine from Phoenix, Eagle, and Viper's team. With small explosions ripping through the advancing army, I knew the grenades were being released as well, just as they should be. Our enemies dropped before us, but they were still advancing. I knew with how many Zombies there were that we'd never be able to finish this without the distance between us being lost. But I didn't think it would happen this quickly. Every undead we killed seemed to be replaced by 4 others. The explosions from the mortars and grenades were slowing some of them down, but what they lack for in intelligence they make up for in persistence.
'Everyone! Grenades now!' I called to the others down the hill. And in close synchronization we all pulled the pins of our grenades and threw them into the front line of the Zombies. They were thrown in such a way that it was almost a straight line of erupting flesh, bone and dirt. The small craters that were left served as a speed bump of sorts to slow down the advancing undead as they tripped and fell over with the sudden dip in footing.
I didn't know how so many of the ghouls had found their way to the bunkers. But it seemed like a never ending amount. We could make head shots without the scopes of our guns by now. They were coming at us too quickly for my liking. Eagle holstered his glocks and slung his war hammer free of it's hold.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Eagle:
They were getting too close for comfort and I was running out of ammo. This war hammer still feels heavy in my hands... But it feels right. It's a tool of destruction, of cleansing.
Calling out to Phoenix and Reaper, I started walking forwards. A sort of demonic pace that doesn't drain your energy, but gets you where you need to go quicker then your enemy realizes. At some times I wish these bastards still had their emotions. I would make it my personal job to intimidate and scare the crap out of every single one of them.
Reaper came up on my left and Phoenix on my right. Reaper had his battle scythe in his hands. Basically a long spear with a curved blade on the tip. And there goes my brother, being the balls and just going all in with his shotgun. Reapers jacket flapping with our pace, Phoenix with fire in his eyes, and the light glinting off the metal of my hammer... These scum would be right to be scared.
As we started getting closer to their front lines they must have seen the cold hardness in my eyes. The occasional stumble in our direction was the only weakness I'd need from them. The uneven moan coming from their ruined throats just seemed like an eternal taunt. I think it's time to bring our own noise. Planting my feet and bringing forth all my rage, I yelled at the undead. All the hatred I'd been storing was released. Almost taking my family from me, stealing my fiance before we could start our life together, and now coming for me... By the time all the air had left my lungs I realized that my brothers beside me had screamed just as I had. Deep rumbles and explosions from their own throats. All their own emotions and thoughts... Heh... Zombie bastards better be ready.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Viper:
Firing as accurately as I could into this crowd of the Plagued was taking a little longer then I'd like. But limited ammunition does that when you think about it. Every bullet that misses the brain of an infected is a bullet wasted. But then I look over at Sphinx and I wonder how he can do it. With that guy Johnson out of the picture, he's hefted both of the turrets in those massive arms of his and he's just raining hell into the walking dead.
Screams of rage filled the air and I turned towards Reaper and his brothers thinking the worst had happened. I was shocked to see that they just stood in front of the advancing line of afflicted with their close range weapons in hand. I didn't know what they were up to, but I meant to give them help.
'Shakespeare! Angel! Keep at it. Sphinx, with me!' As we rushed towards the middle Shakespeare reminded me that we should stay together, but I wasn't going to let my friends die. Not today.
Releasing our bullets from their casings as we hurried towards Reaper's team, I saw Eagle give his war hammer a vertical swing and crush a Plagued One almost as if it was a can of Coke. I don't know what's going on in his head... I'm just glad he's on our side. He's really nice, but when we go into battle he just seems to seal himself away. Imagining those cold dark eyes just makes my skin crawl.
As the two turrets hit the ground I noticed that they were completely out of ammo. 'Ya big guy,' I thought with a smile. 'That happens when you don't let go of the trigger.' And as Sphinx drew his two broad swords he looked at me with a smile. I don't know why I get this feeling... But it's like he's doing everything he can to protect me. I wonder why he's doing that.
Looking back towards Reaper, I noticed I couldn't see him any more. The sounds of the three men were coming from inside a throbbing mob of infected. I knew we had to reach them... Can't let him die on me now.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Watcher:
From up on the hill Enrique and I knew this was worse then Reaper thought it was. Even with all the mortars gone and a few grenades left, there were still so many of them. These soul stealers just seemed to be never ending. That's the problem with big cities. I never liked places with a high population count... Now I know why.
Craters from the explosives were filled with Zombies trying to get up, or climb over each other. My only hope was that they would step on and crush the heads of their fellows as they came towards us. Make them do our work for us.
With the last of the grenades sent flying into the crowd the four of us got ready to rush down. I figured it would be easier to come from the side near the front and cut a swath through the undead and join up with the others in between the two teams. Reaper, Eagle and Phoenix had already engaged the enemy at close range, and for some reason Viper and Sphinx were splitting from Angel and Shakespeare and heading towards the first team. If only I could tell her that the boys would do fine, maybe she'd go back to the rest of her team.
Hefting my rocket launcher as we ran down the hill, I sent two missiles flying into the wall of undead that we were about to meet up with. Might as well make a door for our rush. After the two rockets were released I dropped the launcher and eased my battle axe out of it's holder. I'll remember to pick that up before we leave.
With the explosions from my rockets casting a wide net of destruction in the ranks of the Zombies, Enrique, Rex, Mako, and I dove into the sea of the lost and started carving our path. The good thing about having a big axe is that it's own weight generally carries it through the necks or skulls of the decayed. All I really had to do was aim my strikes well and good things would happen.
Part of me feels bad destroying these bodies. The ripped and dirtied clothes, the vague memories of hair styles or tattoos... These are truly the last memories that says they were once human like us. But the hunger in their eyes is the true reminder of what they are now. Just a deceased populace that needs a cure. Entrance from stage left, my axe!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Phoenix:
Killing these freaks has almost become like an art. Reaper and I were on fire at the battle of the make shift bunker, and it just got more intricate with my brother Eagle in the mix. After we decided to make the fight more personal things started off slow but gruesome. When they really started getting close I would shove the muzzle of my shotgun in the mouth of a Zombie, spatter it's brains over the others behind it. Grabbing the fore stock in a baseball grip and swing at another head, both reloading the gun and bashing in a skull, then tossing the gun in the air and catch the handle to make another shot. Sliding my shotgun back into it's sheath, I grabbed the handle of my axe and make a wide swing, chopping off a couple heads in one go.
Reaper did the good ol' hack and slash thing. I never bothered to ask how he found the scythe. And he hasn't used it much lately. But it was cutting down anything that got within his range. Piercing a skull with the tip, or slicing through the spinal column with deadly accuracy, nothing could seem to get close to him. Occasionally he would reach into his jacket and pull out one of his magnums for a shot, but I could see he was trying to save his ammunition.
And I've never seen Eagle in hand to hand combat before. I mean... He did rush in to help us in the make shift bunker, but I've never actually seen him wield the hammer with this much focus. The first kill he made when we rushed in completely snapped the spine of the Zombie. Crushing it like a can. He managed to remove a head just by hitting it like a baseball off of a tee. I would have liked to watch it fly away with a smile. But no time right now.
All of a sudden I heard Rex yell ,'To me! Rally to me!' My brothers and I figured something must be going wrong. Reaper sheathed his scythe and switched to his two magnums. This is where our adrenaline must have been really kicking in.
Eagle started ahead to start clearing our path towards Rex and the others. He brought his war hammer down on one of the soulless, used it as a pole vault to jump over the undead behind it, and swung his hammer in a circle after sticking the landing, clearing an area and sending enemies spinning to the ground. Reaper and I jumped over the Zombies as they fell and continued cutting our path. Reaps made a clean sweep with his magnums and cut down many of the undead. After his magnums ran out of bullets in the magazines, he released them and managed to kick the falling mags into the head of a Zombie. It wasn't a kill, but it stunned it long enough for him to reload, holster one of the magnums and draw one of his katanas.
I signaled to him and he bent over quickly, making a table of his back. I ran towards him and rolled over him and dispatched another Zombie back to hell with a swing of my axe. Seeing more Zombies move in on our position I choked up on my axe and withdrew my desert eagle. Sending one of my bullets into the brain of an undead, I spun on my heel and split the skull of another with the head of my axe. I looked behind me and saw that Eagle had left his war hammer to balance on it's head on the ground, and he had his dual glocks in his hands again. It looked like he was in a total sense of self awareness and knew exactly where he could find his targets with this sort of innate equilibrium.
I don't quite know how we do it... But we rock at our jobs.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Myself:
I'm starting to wonder if this is what we were meant for. For cleansing the world of this filth. My brothers and I seem to be an unstoppable force of God. We had reached Watcher, Enrique, Rex, and Mako within minutes of them calling for the rally. Nothing stood in our way. What came before us, fell down and stayed down. With all seven of us making a large circle of death, I couldn't help but wonder where Viper and her team were.
A mind piercing scream answered my thought. Turning towards the main building of the base I saw Viper one moment, and then I couldn't see her the next. She wasn't far from us, but there was a wall of Zombies in the way. I looked at my brothers as they looked at me.
'Up and over Reaps!' called Eagle as he and Phoenix holstered their guns and made a stirrup with their hands. With my magnums freshly loaded and ready in my hands, I ran towards them, put a foot on their make shift stirrup, and they threw me up as I jumped towards Viper. Everything seemed to slow down as I flew through the air. There was Viper. She had fallen or tripped and there were Zombies closing in on her. Picking my shots in this intense slow motion flight wasn't hard. Sight, fire. Sight, fire. Sight, fire. By the time I hit the ground and rolled over my shoulder, we had a small area cleared. I bent down to see if Viper was OK, and before I could see it an undead fell on my arm and lowered his mouth. As quickly as I could I snatched my arm away and got behind it, put my knee on it's back, and with it's head in my hands I twisted until the spine snapped.
Out of the corner of my eye I saw a gleaming suit of armour tackling his way through the undead. Using the small spikes on his shoulder plates, and keeping his shield in front of him, Sphinx steamrolled over the soulless with ease. When he got to us, he slung his shield on his back and drew his twin broad swords.
'To the hill! To the hill!' I called to the troops. Holstering my magnums and swooping down to pick up Viper, I followed Sphinx back the way he had come. We met up with Angel and Shakespeare and made our way to the hill. Eagle, Phoenix, Watcher, and the others had already made their way to the base of the hill and were covering our retreat. Watcher had his rocket launcher in his hands and was using it to his full advantage. Eagle had his sniper rifle in his hands and was expertly picking off quick head shots. Rex and Mako threw a couple grenades behind us to keep our backs clear as well.
Behind Sphinx we finally made it to the hill and rushed up to the top. Shock completely stunned me as Viper and I peaked the hill. Medic was lying face down on the ground and Johnson was gone. Carefully putting Viper down on the ground I went back to join the others and unleashed death with my battle rifle.
The greatest relief I have ever experienced was when I saw that there were only a handful of the undead left. Picking them off was done quickly. And after that... we were the only ones standing. We had won. We survived the sea of undead!
Everyone looked at each other then at me. Looking up at the sky and pumping my fist in the air. Cheers and cries broke out from the team and I. Many a 'hoorah!' was yelled. Hands were clasped and hugs were had. With all of us walking back up the hill, I sat down beside Viper and wrapped my arms around her shoulders.
Shakespeare looked up at me with mixed emotions. 'She's just sprained her ankle sir. She'll be back up and walking within the hour. But Medic...' He looked around at the body of our comrade laying now face up on the ground. 'Bullets to the face Reaper... And with Johnson gone I'm assuming it was him. He may have gone a little bit crazy or something. But he's gone and Medic's dead.'
'Damn it... Well... bring Medic with us. When we get into the bunker we'll see about giving him a proper burial. I shouldn't have asked him to stay up here. He would have been safer out there with us...'
'Can't change the past sir. Just have to work through it,' finished Shakespeare as he stood up, brushed himself off and walked towards the others.
'It's not your fault hun,' soothed Viper. 'You couldn't have known...'
I looked up at her as she paused and I saw she was looking at my arm. She slowly reached over and pulled something white and red off of my arm. As she did I felt a slight sting, and pulled up the sleeve of my coat. When I rolled it past my elbow I saw a small puncture in my arm. I hadn't felt that before. It might have been the rush of the moment. But as I looked at what Viper was holding in her hand I saw it was a tooth...
My memory reeled back to the Zombie that had it's head over my arm after I reached Viper. I thought I had been quick enough. I thought it hadn't quite gotten to my arm. But as we both looked at the tooth with my blood on it, we knew what had happened. We knew what my fate had suddenly become... I looked up and into her eyes, pleading for her to keep this quiet. 'It was a small tooth and I didn't feel any pain. It might not do anything...' I explained. But even as I said it, we both knew I was wrong.
Viper closed her hand around the tooth, and unrolled my sleeve to cover my arm. With her eyes never leaving mine, she spoke very softly. 'The second you feel like it's a losing battle... I'll help relieve your pain.' And as she looked over her shoulder at the others she slowly shook her head. With tears in her eyes she reached forward and wrapped her arms around me tightly. 'I don't want to lose you. Not after all this...'
Not like this... Never like this...
Getting to my feet, and picking up Viper. I walked over to the others and masked my imminent doom with a smile. 'Let's go say hi to the neighbours, shall we?'
And with that, we brushed ourselves off and headed down the hill. We had won today... But was it worth the cost?"

Excerpt from the battle log of Steven A. Carpenter. Code Named: Reaper.

No comments: