The Final Release - Watcher

“Week 13, Day 6. Winter in the Arizona Desert is not much of a show, unless you count Zombies as entertainment. We've been having to deal with the undead problem for quite some time now. We've been able to suppress the Zombies for now. But I have a bad feeling that this epidemic of death is going to break through our line. I hate these things that turn our fathers and sons against us; they have no respect for our species.
Last week I was walking through our encampment towards the mess hall and I found a grunt crying outside the door, he wanted someone to see him, just wanted comfort. After talking to him for a bit I realized that he was from this area and saw his wife while he was on patrol, but it wasn’t his wife, not anymore. I can sympathize with that, I saw similar things in my time, my family to be exact. When you’re faced with a situation like that, you just need to think of it as a release. You release them; the parasites are the real killers.
Speaking of which, we released around two hundred and fifty yesterday down by Mesa, where there is flesh, you find Zombies. Usually you don’t see them congregate like that, but afterwards we found that there was a large community of twelve hundred or so survivors hidden under the city, in the sewers. We pulled them out of there and treated the wounded and fed them all, they called us Saviours.
Those people are with us now, they outnumber the troops, but they’ve lost the will to keep running, all they do is fear. It’s a sad commentary on what’s happening in this world right now, their hearts turn to stone but their bodies move on, not unlike our enemy. This place is empty, and I’m stuck in the middle of it, all these men, women and children, not one of them carries my spirit. I find myself thinking back to the old days, the Green Berets alongside my friends. We had no fear, only Spirit, the Spirit of men with an objective.
Tomorrow we’ll be heading back to Mesa to look for more survivors, medical supplies, etc... I hope all goes well.

‘I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.’

-Litany against Fear, Frank Herbert.”

Excerpt from the battle log of Captain James S. Codenamed: Watcher, from the source of the outbreak of the Zombie epidemic.

No comments: