Murphy's Law: Anything That Can Happen, Will Happen

"Week 3, Day 4. We received a dispatch from Johnson and Angel today at 0400 hours. Seems they've already banded together and found a place to last out this doomsday. Heh... Looks like we're the only ones being proactive right now. We've received their coordinates and I've told the platoon we're going to give them all the help we can give. The whole team knew it was the right thing to do and they were ready to do it.
We made our way to their location with Phoenix and myself on point, Eagle, Sphinx and Viper covering our backs and everyone else in the middle. About 100 yards off we started hearing the gunfire. I had guessed they'd be in trouble with the fact that they're holding up in a make shift bunker... I'd never guessed it was this much trouble.
When we finally came in view of what was going on, we saw just how much trouble it was. The three figures we could see were leaning out the windows of the second floor and picking very careful head shots on the sea of Zombies beneath them. With a quick estimate of the hoard assailing the team would be easily in the hundreds. They must have been low on ammunition because the shots weren't coming as often as they should have been.
A quick decision had me giving very direct orders. We were here to help. So help we would.
After the plans were laid out, the team broke with a resounding 'Hoorah!' I don't think I'll ever get used to going into battle. Everything just seems to slow down. Maybe that's just the adrenaline pumping in my veins, but it does seem to help in this scenario. In one moment every single pair of eyes shifted to us, living and undead. And then our battle started.
Watcher unslung his rocket launcher fired two missiles directly at the front line of Zombies. As undead flesh and shrapnel flew upwards Shakespeare helped him reload the launcher. Eagle started lining up shots as soon as the dust settled and head shots could be made. Phoenix, Sphinx, Enrique, Viper and I were getting closer to the madness to be more effective. Rex and Mako were firing from the mounted guns on the Humvees. A couple more explosions hit the Zombies from Watcher and then he came running up to help us with his axe. There wasn't much room left between us and the front line of undead. Shakespeare held back to cover the gunners from behind.
Once we hit the front line things started going a whole lot faster in my mind. Somehow Phoenix and I got separated from the others and we were on our own. With the close range of our attackers I'd slung my battle rifle on my back and had a katana in one hand and a magnum in the other. Phoenix had his shotgun and Desert Eagle. Back to back we were ready to hit these Zombies with everything we had and give them no quarter.
Circling back to back, we started picking off head shots with our pistols. Occasionally we'd get lucky and one bullet would make it's way through 2 brains. But unlike Hollywood, Phoenix and I ran out of bullets pretty quickly. With adrenaline pumping through your veins you can do some amazing things. Phoenix released his empty magazine, tossed his Desert Eagle in the air, got a second magazine and slid it in to the gun as it fell down, and just kept shooting. I had my clips ready for reloading on my belt so I just had to release the empty and slide in the new. After the new batch of bullets were loosed into the enemy Phoenix switched to his battle axe and I freed up my hand for a better grip on my sword.
Working in tandem we hacked and slashed our way towards the building. Phoenix slid the muzzle of his shotgun into the mouth of a Zombie and splattered its brains against its fellows, and turned to lop the head off of another with his axe. Reloading his shotgun by tossing it up, catching it by the forestock, cocking the mechanism, smashing a Zombies skull in with the stock, and flipping the gun around to catch it by the handle and shoot another Zombie, Phoenix was a force of humanity not to be trifled with.
I kept my katana flashing against the tide of undead, cutting off heads or stabbing the blade through an eye socket to skewer the brain. Spinning to cut the head of another assailant off, I reached around my back with my free hand to grasp the handle of my battle rifle and fired off a couple quick bursts into the enemy. Yelling for Phoenix to duck down, I cut open the chest of a Zombie, stuck a frag grenade in it's ribcage, and kicked it back into the crowd of undead. After the schrapnel threw Zombie flesh and decayed matter in all directions, Phoenix and I straightened ourselves and rushed towards the doors of the make shift bunker.
After we burst through the doors of the first floor, we noticed that the stairway leading up had been blocked off.
'Of course it would be,' grunted Phoenix with an unpleased tone. As we turned around to get out of the building we realized a moment too soon that we'd trapped ourselves in the building. Zombies were already swarming the door trying to get closer to our flesh. But not a moment later Eagle jumped through one of the broken windows with a war hammer in his hands and took a circling swipe at the Zombies coming towards us. Sending a few undead crumbling to the floor he looked back at us with a wink and said 'Evening gents,' like this was nothing special at all. Together we beat back the tide of undead and got outside of the death trap Phoenix and I had wandered into.
'We're going to need an evac from the bunker, and we're going to need it soon,' I ordered into the radio on my shoulder as more Zombies swarmed our position.
'On our way Reaper,' came the quick reply from Rex. Through the windows we could see Mako hop in the drivers seat of the Humvee Rex was gunning from. Mako drove straight for the building as Rex tried to clear a path with the mounted turret. And as the vehicle got closer, Mako made it drift over to the one side and either ran over or bashed the undead to the side with the back of the Humvee. 'Excellent tactically driving boys,' I thought.
As Phoenix, Eagle and I hopped in to the Humvee we pulled away just as explosions errupted in the midst of the Zombies. I spotted Watcher back with his rocket launcher raining death into the enemy. Sphinx was a shining star in the day's light as he was fighting his way through a mass of Zombies. I signaled Mako to head for him, drop us off and head back to the others.
As my brothers and I hopped off the vehicle I sheathed my sword and unhitched my battle rifle. Phoenix got his shotgun out and Eagle had dual Glocks in his hands. We nodded to each other and rushed into the fray once again. Shots rang out and enemies dropped before us. We were an unstoppable force, and where we went Zombies fell. Once we reached Sphinx there were barely any of the undead left. He had impaled a Zombie with this bardiche. His shield was slung on top of the handle to form a quick battle standard as a sign of defiance and held his position wielding his two broad swords and forming a circle of death around him. The three of us helped Sphinx take out the rest of the undead and within seconds we had completely cleared the area. We had come to save the defending troops, and we'd done it.
I looked around to make sure everyone was still ok. Watcher, Enrique, Rex, Mako, Shakespeare and Viper were back with the Humvees. Sphinx was collecting his bardiche and shield. And Phoenix, Eagle and I were standing together. Our own island in the sea of truly dead Zombies. Pumping our fists in the air, together we sounded a victorious 'Hoorah!' to the heavens, and we were joined in celebration by a chorus of cheers from the Humvees and a solid salute from Sphinx.
As my brothers and I turned around to go towards the make shift bunker, we saw the survivors running towards us. When they got to us they introduced themselves repsectfully. Johnson, Angel, and Medic. They reported that after the communication from HQ, they decided to go into the closest building and bunker down. But after sealing the entrance way, they discovered they weren't the only ones there. In the darkness of night their teams had been caught off guard and all were killed except these three survivors...
All three of them saluted briskly and as one said 'Rescued team, Sir. Reporting for duty!'
Well... veni, vidi, vici I guess. A good days work. We came, we saw, we conquered.'

Excerpt from the battle log of Steven A. Carpenter. Code Named: Reaper.

No comments: