Situation Normal, All Fucked Up - Phoenix

"Week 3, Day 2. How did it come to this? Not a day goes by when I don't ask myself that question. I try to think back to before this ordeal began and I try to feel the innocence I felt before, but to no avail. It's funny... Reaper use to tell us, my brother Eagle and I, about what was going to happen. The horrors that would descend upon the world. We would just laugh because we thought he was kidding... Oh how wrong we were. But since the outbreak he never once has said, 'I told you so.' That's not the kind of man he is.
I can still remember the day the world ended. We were sitting in our house watching some movie together calling it 'family time' when we heard the screams. Sure you hear those screams in the movies but when you hear them in real life you can't help but be gripped by a mixture of adrenaline and fear. Then the front door was knocked in and they came. The first time I saw one I was shocked. I never thought a human being could look so... evil, deformed. My sister screamed and the creature stood a minute almost like it was deciding which one of us to devour first. Just before it could leap on to my brother it was pierced through the skull from behind by a Katana. Reaper had saved our lives that day and it was for that reason we accepted our brothers leadership as head of the squad.
I made a vow never to be caught off guard again. I hate the bastards. The mindless onslaught of inhuman beasts who want nothing more then to devour humanity in a rainstorm of blood. I've been keeping a tally on my shotgun. I do it so whoever finds my dead body will know, 'Here lies a man who went balls out and kicked ass!'
The only thing that matters to me now is keeping my family, and the rest of the guys alive, whatever the cost. Enrique, Sphinx, Viper... All of them as well as Reaper and of course...Eagle.
My brother Eagle has become sort of cold and emotionless, like a robot, almost since his fiance was turned. Killing her was the hardest thing he ever had to do and it killed him a little. So much is wrong! So much is just fucked up! Clearing these buildings... Seeing what has become of our world. I remember on Day 5 after I found a black Desert Eagle Magnum with a Red Phoenix etched in the handle, we walked past the sign that used to say 'Welcome to Sarnia' instead it had spray painted over with the words, 'Fuck the Zombies' all I could think at that moment was, 'I intend to, I intend to...' I am the Phoenix and with the support of my brothers, I will rise above the flame."

Excerpt from the battle log of Jeremy M. Clever. Code Named: Phoenix.

No comments: