Calling In Some Favours

"Week 2, day 5. Seems HQ is willing to pull some favours for it's hard working troops. My platoon is going to get the day off. And seeing how it's been almost 50 days (off the record time included) I'm pretty sure my men deserve it. Enrique and Sphinx are going to go work on some cars today. Their family were claimed by the epidemic within the first two weeks, and since they both enjoy working on cars they've bonded pretty tightly. Hex is going to the bar. Says he hasn't had a drink in two years but this is reason enough to celebrate. Shakespear, Kaden and Scales are going to try and find their families in the baracks. Rex and Mako are going to find some games to play. They've always got a portable chess set somewhere between the two of them. Eagle and Phoenix are going to see their family which is good. They're all pulling through and supporting us all the way. They are truely wonderful people. I would have gone with them but I was called to HQ instead... Someone has to keep their minds on the job at all times. And I'm more then happy to let the others forget the horrors of the present with their family and friends.
It still seems odd to have fully trained army personnel salute to me. It seems like I'm actually respected for what my troops and I have done. It's not a bad feeling to get used to...
'Well aren't you a sight for sore eyes!'
Turns out I was called to HQ for a surprise visit. Captain James S. (code name: Watcher) was called into duty in this region and he's being assigned to my platoon. The general said there was another coming, but the chopper she's on is a little late. And in this world, a little late is never good.
Watcher and I attended the same college before this started. Together we could hack up a storm and leave humour and wasted time in it's wake. I found out that's why he was called on to my team. HQ thinks we'll run into a few banks that have items that are more useful in our hands then just sitting and gathering dust.
Conversation insued as it normally does between friends and I figured out he led a large detachment of his own before he got transfered to me. Watcher had always been a big guy, and it seems that paid off. Most people wouldn't have had an easy time carrying the load he did. At times like this no one went anywhere without their weapons, and Watcher was not one to forgo the ways that kept you alive. A giant double headed axe hung by his side and a rocket launcher with 8 rounds were strapped to his back. And his lap top in a bag, just like I remembered it. Just another guy who wont take any crap from Zombie hoardes.
'Reaper to the landing zone. I repeat, Reaper to the landing zone,' came the call over the speakers. Seems that whoever 'she' is is finally here.
When Watcher and I made it to the landing zone, the helicopter was already refueled and on it's way back from wherever it came. And on the landing platform was who we were waiting for. Wearing a black dress that clung to her torso and flowed to her knees, with knee high boots, and a black ribbon holding back her hair, Viper picked up her AK47 and slung it over her shoulder. I noticed as she was walking towards us that she had throwing knives strapped over her dress as well.
'Reaper... It's been a while,' she said with a wink. And quite a while it had been indeed. Back in the control room I was informed that both Watcher and Viper were to be assigned to my platoon. It wasn't so much a shock that I was getting more troops... It was who I was getting that surprised me.
As we walked back to meet up with the rest of the platoon after their day off, I informed the two new members on what had happened so far. Every detail was given to them. It didn't make sense to hold anything back. We were so deep in the conversation that I almost walked straight into Eagle and the others.
'Yo Reaps! Mum, Dad and Val say hi and wish you the best.'
And with that... It seems like I got my day off too. My platoon turned into my friends, my brothers and I were tighter then we'd ever been, my friends from my past became my allies, and my remaining family was safe. This was among the best days of my life"

Excerpt from the battle log of Steven A. Carpenter. Code Named: Reaper.

No comments: